"Uhh that smell, What in the world is that smell.
Understanding the Risks
So just how hazardous is mold, and what are the real risks to a facility and its occupants? Here's what we know: Mold is naturally occurring fungi that can thrive wherever moisture is present, especially in combination with poor ventilation and humidity above 60 percent. As an allergen, mold can be particularly troublesome for the elderly, the very young, and those whose immune systems are already compromised by illness or disease. In general, mold should be of greatest concern in schools, day care centers, nursing homes, hospitals, and apartment buildings. According to a 2002 study, as many as one-fourth of all occupational asthma cases may be related to exposure to mold or mold spores.
The hype about mold peaked during the late 1990s. It helped to focus attention on the issue but also scared people unnecessarily. Fears about "toxic" mold and "black" mold may have been good for business, but there is little value in talking about "toxic" mold because that implies there is "non-toxic," health effects-free mold. The reality is that the impact of mold is generally believed to be dose-related: The more exposure you have, the greater the potential health effects--although the dose-response relationship is not well-established and there can be wide variations in people's symptoms.
the roof, the roof, the floor is on fire.
Every day here at SERVPRO is always exciting. From large loss water jobs to clients thinking mildew in their tub is a full-blown mold breakout. But more recently we encountered a situation where just a little preparation and preparedness goes a long way. The SERVPRO team was recently called out to what was explained by the client "A HUGE FIRE" in her home. When asked what caused this quote-unquote HUGE FIRE, she told SERVPRO she fell asleep with a lit cigarette in her hand. Now, most people know that the last thing you want to do is lit a cigarette in the house while you are getting sleepy. The end result was 1os of thousands of dollars in property and physical damage. Now the fire is one thing but then there comes all the water the fire company used to put it out. That water that really saved the home from burning to the ground also caused an astronomical amount of damage to the floors ceilings and walls of the affected home.
Mold M-O-L-D, The very sound of the word makes a normal person cringe. This mold is no joke. It can come in and without you noticing turn your once beautiful home into a world of bad smells and lots of coughing. Here at SERVPRO, we look at mold as more of an opportunity than a problem. The staff at SERVPRO is Highly trained in the protocols of the (IICRC). That means when SERVPRO comes to your home you can expect excellent service and even better results. The process for mold is very simple, the team comes in and first must identify the source of the loss. Once the source is found the team can begin the remediation process. First by containing the affected area by putting up a barrier usually 6 mil plastic with zippers and a clean zone before you walk into the affected area. After that its time to go to work.
Wild water destruction
When it comes to water loss, always expect the unexpected. What may look like just a little stain on the carpet could be a whole carpet pad and underlayment soaking. This will destroy your floor all the way down to the subfloor. When you experience a water loss you must act quickly pick up the phone and call SERVPRO. Once the team hits the site leave it up to the pros to get it done on time and on budget. The team at SERVPRO strives to support and supply great services to the area. The focus is and will always be "customer first". Once we make the customer feel comfortable with us then they can begin to relax and watch the magic happen. From extraction to the final walkthrough you will be amazed at the professionalism and cleanliness of SERVPRO's crews. When in doubt call SERVPRO and we will make it "Like it never even happened."
Water Certification Value at SERVPRO
Here at SERVPRO Pike/Monroe, we strive to keep our team up to date with all the most recent and most valuable certifications from the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). The SERVPRO team looks forward to all of these pieces of training because to all of us at SERVPRO our main goals is to provide the best value and satisfaction to all of its valued clients. One of the main things the team learns at these pieces of training is to do the job the right wy the first time while following all OSHA regulations when it comes to safety. This ensures the customer that the team they bring in to do the work is qualified not just in the mitigation or repair but also in all the best Standards of Practice to make sure the job site is a safe environment for the team working but also anyone else on the job site.
Mold is the motive
Mold is one of those things that really get peoples blood flowing. The fear that this micro-organism brings to the table scares man and women alike. It comes out of nowhere and sticks around till the fat lady sings. The team at SERVPRO loves mold! Especially our 3 CMI'S (Certified Mold Inspector.) The proper training has been put in place to ensure when SERVPRO is on the job it will always be done right the first time. The technicians are trained and certified to handle the cleaning of mold growth. We can ensure that it is done safely and thoroughly so that your home is safe again. Mold has to have moisture to grow. The source could be cooking, washing, condensation, leaks from plumbing, humidifiers, or even from the outdoors. Inadequate ventilation can contribute to levels of higher humidity and leads to condensation, allowing the mold to grow.
Molds release spores as small as .3 microns into the air, so when it grows inside your home, the number of fragments and spores is usually higher than it would be outdoors since this occurs in a confined space. The first step of the mold remediation process is to contain the area where the mold is growing in your home. Doing so prevents the spores from spreading to areas of your home that are clean when we disturb them during restoration. SERVPRO technicians can also set up HEPA filtered air scrubbers to extract airborne spores and mold particles.
Fire in the house
Fire damage is very devastating when the house or office you know and love go up in flames. The team at SERVPRO Southern Monroe works day in and day out training and mastering the craft of the aftermath of a fire loss. When the loss occurs the team from SERVPRO will be on the site once the smoke clears and the fireman says its safe to go in. The team will then conduct a full scope of the structure to find problem areas. Once the problem areas have been defined the team will then put a scope of work together. Once the team begins the process in the matter of no time your home or office will look like new. The team will work day and night to make sure you are satisfied with the work the SERVPRO team has done. When you're in a jam call 570-424-2290!
Commercial vs Residential
Here at SERVPRO of NE/Pike County, we have the opportunity to work with some great individuals and companies. One of the main goals for SERVPRO as a whole is to have heavy and genuine influence and presence in the communities and Counties. The franchise is able to keep that rapport with business owners and homeowners alike. Being able to access both commercial and residential accounts allows growth not just at a monetary level but also growth within the community, One of the driving forces behind SERVPRO's success is the way in which the brand converses with its clients. From being there one on one with a homeowner helping them through the mitigation process to meeting with COI's on large commercial accounts. Creating ERPS for their businesses and making them feel at ease when it comes to disaster restoration. The opportunities for SERVPRO are endless and it allows are the reach of services to continue to grow and develop.
Commercial water loss
Water loss is something we all have to deal with. It can sneak up on you in a matter of minutes potentially causing tremendous amounts of damage to building or structure in which it has originated from. SERVPRO prides itself on continuing to set a industry high standard on the protocols and procedures used to deal with commercial water loss. From the state of the art drying software and equipment we use, to the continued training the SERVPRO staff receives to make sure that the job is not just done correctly, but done on time and done in a professional fashion. Next time you or anyone you know suffers a devastating loss call SERVPRO and they will come out and get the job done right.
Ways To Prevent mold growth in the home.
When it comes to mold growth in the home there are many options to protect your home or business. One of the first things you can do to prevent mold growth is to make sure that you have good ventilation moving throughout your house and also in your attic and crawlspace. One common misconception about mold is that the tighter the insulation the better the seal, which in turn will keep the house dry. But what is actually happening is that the lack of ventilation causes moisture in the air causing mold to begin to develop on the drywall. Mold attaches itself to house hold items such as drywall and paint on the walls. Having a dehumidifier in the home is always a very low cost way to keep the moisture in your home under control. Crawlspaces or basement are another common area for mold to grow. The mold grows well with low light cold temps and high humidity so a crawlspace is like a weekend in Vegas for mold spores.