How to Clean Linens, Clothing, and Other Soft-Goods After Exposure to COVID-19
After potential or confirmed exposure to COVID-19, this is how to clean linens, clothing, and other items that go in the laundry:
- Wear disposable gloves when handling dirty laundry from an ill person and then discard after each use. If using reusable gloves, those gloves should be dedicated for cleaning and disinfection of surfaces for COVID-19 and should not be used for other household purposes. Clean hands immediately after gloves are removed.
- If no gloves are used when handling dirty laundry, be sure to wash hands afterwards.
- If possible, do not shake dirty laundry. This will minimize the possibility of dispersing virus through the air.
- Launder items as appropriate in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If possible, launder items using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and dry items completely. Dirty laundry from an ill person can be washed with other people’s items.
- Clean and disinfect clothes hampers according to guidance above for surfaces. If possible, consider placing a bag liner that is either disposable (can be thrown away) or can be laundered.
SERVPRO can clean and restore most softgoods that have been affected by fire, water, smoke, and yes, even COVID-19. Give us a call today 570-424-2290!